Discussion: Do Writers Need Social Media?

Photo credit: rogersmj on Flickr
I remember reading this post by Nathan Bransford years ago on when you should start using social media. His post is actually what pushed me to take the plunge into Twitter and blogging, a decision that I couldn’t be happier with.

Now that I’ve waded around the social media world for two years and written posts on the best social media sites and accounts for writers, I’ve started thinking: do writers really need it?

I’m hesitant to make generalizations about what anyone needs to succeed (or generalizations at all, for that matter) with few exceptions. And while social media is not one of those exceptions, I do believe that being active in social media can at the very least make a writer’s life easier. And a little less lonely.

You see, social media is so much more than telling the world about what you had for breakfast—it’s a community, and lucky for writers there’s a rather large one of wonderful people who love words and just want to tell stories to the world. But more than that, social media is a world rife with opportunity—from pitch contests, to wish list requests from agents, to online writing conferences (which are actually a thing).

And that’s available to everyone long before publication is a reality.

Post-publication, social media becomes even more important. It allows writers to connect with their readers, both future and current. Social media drives word-of-mouth marketing, keeps readers in-the-know regarding your book, and it allows anyone and everyone to share their thoughts on your work.

So while I won’t say that it’s impossible to be a successful writer without social media, I do believe that social media can make a writer’s life much easier (and, dare I say—a little more fun?).

Even if you don’t think you need social media, it might be worth a try anyway. You never know—it might turn out to be one of your best decisions yet.

Do you think writers need social media? Why or why not?

Twitter-sized bites: 
Do writers really need social media? (Click to tweet
It may not be impossible to be a successful writer without social media, but it does make life easier. (Click to tweet)

10 comments:

Kertas Warna Merah said...

why not. social media nowdays very important

Ava Jae said...

Yes, I believe it is.

Daniel Swensen said...

Without social media, I don't think anyone would be interested in my book at all. I've found it invaluable.

Ava Jae said...

I don't think e-books would be half as successful as they are today without social media. It's the driving force of most self-published novels, and it's certainly opened up a world of possibilities for writers and readers alike.

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Ava. Do you know why I think it is critical to be involved with social media as an author? Typically, no one at home understands us, and we desperately need that community of writers to celebrate those highs and offer a shoulder to lean against during the lows.
Thanks for sharing, my friend.


-Jimmy

Ava Jae said...

That's a fantastic point, Jimmy--the online community is a wonderful emotional support for writers. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Jeremy Feijten said...

It's definitely true that social media make a writer's life less lonely. It makes me a little sad too, though, because while for the English writing authors it is surely true that there is a great community, I'm a bit jealous that it isn't the case for Dutch writers. It makes me feel like an outcast at some points. When it comes to grammar or language issues, I'm out. That's a bit disappointing. I wish I could write stories in English xD

Ava Jae said...

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that. I unfortunately don't know of very many resources or forums specifically for Dutch authors. Have you tried scouring Twitter? Might be difficult to pin down Dutch authors specifically, but I know a large part of the community I interact with on Twitter reside in areas other than the States.


On another note, I think your grammar and understanding of the English language is pretty spot on. :)

alexandria scott said...

Amazing information!. Thank you for giving us helpful and knowledgeable information that will surely help and guide us with our online venture.

Ava Jae said...

You're so welcome, Alexandria! Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...